Saturday, 19 March 2011

Freaks, Geeks & Asperger Syndrome: A User Guide to Adolescence



Freaks, Geeks & Asperger Syndrome: A User Guide to Adolescence
Luke Jackson | 2002-08-15 00:00:00 | Jessica Kingsley Pub | 224 | Special Needs
Have you ever been called a freak or a geek? Have you ever felt like one? Luke Jackson is 13 years old and has Asperger Syndrome. Over the years Luke has learned to laugh at such names but there are other aspects of life which are more difficult. Adolescence and the teenage years are a minefield of emotions, transitions and decisions and when a child has Asperger Syndrome, the result is often explosive.
Luke has three sisters and one brother in various stages of their adolescent and teenage years but he is acutely aware of just how different he is and how little information is available for adolescents like himself.
Drawing from his own experiences and gaining information from his teenage brother and sisters, he wrote this enlightening, honest and witty book in an attempt to address difficult topics such as bullying, friendships, when and how to tell others about AS, school problems, dating, relationships and morality.
Luke writes briefly about his younger autistic and AD/HD brothers, providing amusing insights into the antics of his younger years and advice for parents, carers and teachers of younger AS children. However, his main reason for writing was because "so many books are written about us, but none are written directly to adolescents with Asperger Syndrome. I thought I would write one in the hope that we could all learn together."
Reviews
This is an excellent book from a very bright kid who suffers from this syndrome. It is written from a British point of view but should be beneficial regardless of country of origin. Now if I can just get my 33 year old son to read it.
Reviews
I love this book!! As a of parent 4, the oldest being an 11 yo boy with AS it was the most helpfull (and I'v read alot!!). Cause its writen by a 13 yo boy with AS its also a fun cute at times funny read. It helped so much with the nagging questions you have as a parent..like weather or not to tell them of there dx?? or why do they do that all the time and should I stop them?? I first read this when my son was first dx with AS at 7...I'm rereading it now that he is in Adolescence, Then I will have him read it. I think he will very much enjoy it as he can so relate with Luke. I have asked his Middle school teachers to read it aswell. Never really understood what whent on in my boys head untill reading this book. Must read for all adolescence with AS and thier parents and support team. Its nice to know there is a light at this tunnel called Aspergers and its kinda cool. Aftet reading this book my new song for life is "I can see clearly now" by bob marley.
Reviews
Oh, I wish I had paid attention to the other reviews. So sorry I wasted my money on this. It was recommended by my son's school so I naively thought it might be beneficial to my own teenager. IT'S NOT. It's audience is truly British teens as there is a lot that needs to be translated into American English (at least culturally). This kid has no clue the conflicts faced by an American teen so his advice misses the mark. For a teenager who is on the autism spectrum, there are some glaring omissions in his story/advice that are difficult for my own son to get past (like he mentions his family repeatedly but at no time does he mention his dad). The book desperately needs editing and revamping in order to market to an American audience. Personally don't purchase it (I'm trying to figure out if I can get a refund so I can mail it back!)
Reviews
This book was recommended to me by a support group for Aspie teens, and I was fascinated by Luke Jackson's frank portrayal of his life as an Aspie. At times, his writing lacks polish, but the fresh perspective on a puzzling disorder more than makes up for any flaws in the writing. This is a recommended read for parents of children "on the Autism Spectrum" and for anyone who wants to know more about Asperger's Syndrome. Jackson's small book is a huge achievement.
Reviews
of life with AS. This is a fantastic book by a thirteen year old with Asperger Syndrome. As soon as I finish reading it I plan to read it to my son.



The book is written as a self-help book for teens who have AS or Autism, but also has explanations for teachers, parents and others. I especially like the parts where he details how his thinking processes work. It explains so much.



The author also goes into details about variations on the syndrome that he has not personally experienced, so it does cover more than just his experience. There is also an extensive resource list in the back.



This is a great book for teens and tweens who are on the autism spectrum and for their family members and teachers. The author is from Britain, so there are a few words and cultural differences that US readers will note, but these are minor.

Download this book!

Free Ebooks Download

No comments:

Post a Comment